Saturday, May 20, 2006

Birthday Celebrations...



On Tuesday evening, we joined with some friends for a birthday celebration. Jenn, Brent, Josh, Beth and Riley all schemed with Mallory to pull off the surprise party.

Jenn, Amy, and Beth



The Birthday girl...two days early


The next day, I opened packages from family. Mallory's mom sent me a beautiful new purse that has already been well-utilized.

After I finished work on my actual birthday, Mallory and Butler whisked me away on a surprise trip....all the way to Indiana. Mallory gave me a treasure map in my birthday card, and the only clue I really had was that we were going to Evansville, Indiana.

Crossing the bridge from Kentucky to Indiana.

Butler, our fearless leaders and chief navigator.

Our first stop was Cool Breeze Bed & Breakfast, where Mallory had reserved a room for us. It was a 100-year-old home that was so quaint and very cozy!

Now, I know what you're thinking... "What's in Evansville, Indiana?" Well, I was pondering the same thing, until Mallory announced where we were going for dinner.....


IHOP!!!!

I am a HUGE IHOP fan and was terribly disappointed when there were no IHOPs anywhere in Kentucky. So, my sweet husband drove me two hours for my birthday to experience the best breakfast food in the world!

After a good night's sleep at the B&B, we were treated to a scrumptious breakfast by our host and then made our way back to Louisville.

But wait, there's more.... Our friends, Dave & Katie Kizziah, were able to come stay with us last night. Mallory and Dave were Journeyman together in Zambia, and welcomed us when we arrived at seminary in Louisville back in October.

Dave wanted to make Nshima, the traditional African staple. It was just as good as we remembered it to be!!!

Enjoying our African meal together on the patio furniture that Mallory gave me.


3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

How fun!! Lots of brownie points for Mal for this one!

I'm happy you guys were able to celebrate in such a special way...and also happy the we had just finished pancakes before I read your post, so I wasn't TOO jealous ;)

Kari said...

Happy belated birthday! I can't believe you went to Evansville...that's just over the river from my hometown...Henderson (about 20mins away). My brother actually goes to high school in E'ville, but yeah there's not a lot to do there. Glad you glad had fun :) Sent in my Southern application....hope to be seeing ya'll there in the spring.

Anonymous said...

mmmm...nshima!