We have many different aspects of our lives that are changing or "in limbo", as some would say. We'll attempt to give you a brief update below...On Friday, I was driving to see a patient, and drove up on this horrible accident. Photos courtesy of The Courier-Journal.
This yellow Neon attempted to make an illegal U-turn on a major interstate in Louisville. In doing so, it was hit by an 18-wheeler semi-truck and thrown into the median. The semi then crossed the median and hit two additional vehicles in the east-bound lanes. It stopped once crossing the siderail and plumenting into the woods.

When I arrived, the accident had occurred less than 60 seconds ago. I immediately grabbed some gloves and my stethoscope and started running. All of the victims were in stable condition, although some bleeding and beginning stages of shock were developing. I primarily stayed with the driver of this blue car, who had moderate bleeding and was delirous. The girls in the yellow neon were stable, and the truck driver was inaccesible when I arrived. Some bystanders broke a window on the truck cab in order to get to the driver. EMS arrived after what seemed like an eternity. Amazingly, everyone is stable and will not be permanetly physically affected.

Emotionally, I was exhausted before noon. I don't like trauma and rescue things like this. THIS IS THE REASON I'M NOT AN ER NURSE!!!
Let's back up to Thursday night...

We went out with our friends, Jenn and Brent, to play putt-putt golf. It was fun to spend time with them and to enjoy a game of putt-putt!

He beat me... but we can kiss and make up!
Back to Friday evening...
Mallory went on a men's retreat with the church, so I went out with some ladies from church (and their children). After eating Mexican, we went back and had pedicures and enjoyed some coffee and cake! What a way to spend the evening when I can't be with my wonderful husband.

Speaking of husband, Mallory's car was deemed "mechanically totaled" on Friday morning. It's been having some problems for a while, and granted, it was the car that got us out of New Orleans after the storm, so it's been through a lot. We are looking for a new car or some other method of transport this weekend.

Even Butler has some exciting things... a new toy! This burger is the object of his affection and a fun thing for us to play "keep away" with!
3 comments:
Wow! That is a horrible accident. I can't imagine arriving 60 seconds afterwards...you must have been so nervous. But Praise the Lord all are ok! I know it must be moments like that that make you proud to be a nurse. I actually enjoy ER nursing. I definitely will be visiting Southern in either late October/November. I will need a nursing job (probably not till May though) so I will take you up on some help finding a job! I love reading your blog and seeing how ya'll are doing. You're so cute :)
I'm so proud of my grandog Butler for carrying on the"Gabriel Burger Tradition" Rhett says "That isn't one of MY burgers is it?"
Amy -
I'm a friend of Kari's and my sister Jennie (Boone) went to Samford with you. I read your blog from time to time, and for some reason this post really touched me.
How amazing it is that HE placed you on the highway when that group of people needed you most. What a blessing you must have been to the people in the accident - just to have a calming presence in those moments right after it happened.
Post a Comment