Tuesday, April 25, 2006

THUNDER OVER LOUISVILLE

The largest fireworks display in the world, Thunder of Louisville, took place this past Saturday night. We weren't planning on attending, since it was the day before our anniversary and we didn't want to fight crowds that reminded us of the New Orleans French Quarter. However, our friends Devin and April had a set of extra tickets, so we were thrilled to see this great explosion.

The big event took place on the Ohio River, which separates Louisville from Southern Indiana. Living in a "River City" is fun--lots of boats and fishing year round!

Thunder over Louisville is an all-day event, even though the fireworks don't start until 9 pm. In the afternoon, we watched an air show for many, many hours. Although facinating, I learned more about fighter jets and planes than I ever wanted to know. But what better way to pass the time when you are sitting on a river?

Devin & April were in New Orleans with us, and although we didn't know them well at the seminary, we have become good friends since moving to Louisville. I guess evacuees tend to flock together, huh?

April won tickets for four at her office. We were treated to lunch in the Louisville Ballet Building, fully equipped with a clean restroom for our use all day. We also had an area where we watched the fireworks away from the crowds of people. What a blessing!!!

Photos don't even begin to capture the magnitude of these fireworks, but I'll attempt to post a few so you can get an idea. Just know the fireworks lasted OVER TWENTY MINUTES!

The happy couple at 364 days of marriage. It's been an adventuresome year, to say the least, but we're grateful to have each other and a strong marriage.


And finally, my friend Laura came to Louisville last weekend. Although she was able to participate in all the festivities, she really came to look at the seminary here. We worked together in Lesotho, Africa, and last saw each other at my wedding. It was such a blessing to see a dear and precious friend!

2 comments:

The Hudgins said...

hey....looks like fun!!!!
happy (belated) anniversary. guess it was a little over a year ago i left a nasty note on ya'lls car. funny how life works :)
love you guys!!!
tara

Kari said...

Happy Anniversary (late). That's cool ya'll got to go to thunder on the Ohio. I lived on the Ohio too..in Henderson (western KY). I loved living in a River town growing up...water skiing, jet skis, tubing! Glad you all could go. Congrats on 1 year of marriage, I was hoping to 'model' you guys and meet my husband here in Africa :) but so far it hasn't happend.....but hey I still have 5 months!