Friday, September 28, 2007

Twenty Questions...

Well, it may not be quite twenty, but here are the top questions we're getting these days, along with the answers.

#1: When is this baby going to arrive?
Well, maybe we ask ourselves this one more than you would ask. The due date is actually October 7, but at 36 weeks, I was already making progress, so we didn't think I'd go all the way to the due date. However, here I sit, still pregnant, at 38 weeks and 5 days. It could be any day, hopefully today.

#2: How did you come up with the name John Mark?
I've always liked family names with a twist. You know, not a "junior" name, but a derivitive of a family name. John is my dad's name, and Mark is a good friend of Mallory's. Both are men we admire for their character and walk with the Lord. John Mark also happens to be one of the gospels, so we figured we couldn't go wrong.

#3: Are you going to call him "John", "Johnny", "John Mark", "JM".......?
We are going to call him John Mark at first. If he wants to shorten it to one of the names later, he can. I think he'll always be John Mark to us though.

#4: You were really sick early in your pregnancy. Are you all better?
Yes and no. I had morning, noon and night sickness the entire first AND second trimester, so the third trimester has been awesome (even through the August record-breaking heat). Depending on what I eat, I still have occasional stomach upset, but it has been MUCH better in the last two months.

#5: You look so tiny. How much weight have you gained?
This is an interesting question with a complex answer. First of all, the first sentence would be taken by any woman as a complement. However, I heard that statement so much (up until the last month) that I got paranoid. I felt like I wasn't doing enough to make sure my baby was healthy. I would try so hard to eat, and even harder to keep it down--it was a constant battle to gain weight. Again, normally something I wouldn't complain about. I equated weight gain with a healthy baby and my weight loss made me feel more like a loser everytime I heard how small I was. In the end, I had to give it to the Lord and trust His provision and sovereignty to create this child. And I also want to praise my wonderful husband who listened to many cries and sobs when the scale would say I'd lost more weight at each doctor's visit.

Secondly, about the weight gain- let me preface this part of the answer by saying I lost nine pounds in the beginning. I think I had a little to lose though! My arms, face and legs got so skinny! I looked like I did when I had worms in Africa. Yuck! I was 30 weeks pregnant (7 1/2 months) before I got all those nine pounds back. Since then, I've gained an additional six pounds. So, depending on how you look at it, I've either gained six or fifteen pounds as of last Monday. However, my doctor is not concerned at all. John Mark "measures" straight down the 50th percentile for his age, and everything looks great as far as his health is concerned.

#6: Are you still working?
As of last Thursday, no. Mallory was more anxious for me to start maternity leave than I was, so he actually went to the doctor with me and asked if I could quit working. She said yes. And it's a good thing- I was driving long distances to see patients, sometimes up to 50 miles or more, and often without cell phone coverage. The heat was causing my ankles and fingers to swell, and I occasionally had to carry heavy IV supplies to patients homes. I have truly enjoyed being home during the last week and finishing all those last-minute details for John Mark.

#7: Are you going back to work after your maternity leave?
Hopefully not, but I can't say that for sure. There are numerous factors up in the air with Mallory's sales job, insurance benefits, and our budget. We are praying that God will provide a way for me to stay home with John Mark, but if He chooses not to, I will work part time.

#8: Since you're a nurse and taken care of babies for years, you must be well-prepared.
Not a question, but a true/false statement. Answer: Both. In some ways, I do feel well-prepared. I have a better knowledge of what to expect as far as infant care, feeding schedule, pediatrician questions, the hospital stay, etc. However, all that knowledge comes back to bite me because I know all that can go wrong. I've researched every risk factor that could possibly affect John Mark. I don't want to be a psycho mom, but I'm afraid I'll start assessing him during the first few days like one of my patients- listening for abnormal heart sounds, making sure he is gaining the right amount of weight, being overkill on the handwashing, etc. This is another issue I must give to the Lord daily. Mallory and I pray for a healthy baby, but that is never guaranteed. We will take whatever blessing the Lord gives us.

#9: How is Mallory? Is he excited, scared, nervous, anxious...?
Maybe I should let him answer this, but I can say from observation that he is more excited than anything. We are both ready for this baby to arrive!!! The other night he started speaking to my belly saying, "John Mark, come forth!", mimicking Jesus calling Lazarus to come forth! John Mark started kicking and I was afraid Mal's tactic had induced labor, but no such luck.

#10: I know you love stationery. Are you making your own announcements?
I thought about it, but no. I was afraid I would want them to be perfect and it would be an extra stressor I didn't need. We are sending out announcements, but they are from Target. I have already pre-set all the info on the computer, so now we just need a birthdate, time, height, weight and picture and they'll be good to go. Most of you who check this website will get one, but if you're not sure I have your address, email it to me!

#11: You don't have any family in Kentucky. Are your parents coming to visit?
Well, we actually do have a little bit of family in Louisville. My cousin Joseph, and his wife Erica, moved here in August to go to seminary. They have been great to have around. My parents are currently en route to Louisville, and will stay for two weeks. We had hoped to have John Mark here by the time they arrived, but God knows his birthday and it's obviously not yet here. Mallory's parents will come up later in October.

#12: Is this the first grandchild?
Yes. On both sides. And let me just tell you, we have some over-excited, near ecstatic grandparents-to-be.

#13: I know you've had a few showers. Is there anything you still need? Do you have a baby registry?
We have been so blessed with not one, not two, but three showers from family and friends. Not to mention that the UPS guy knows our dog by name since he frequents our front door. I have personally been overwhelmed by the generosity of our family and friends. We could always use diapers, wipes and gift cards. John Mark doesn't have many toys yet, either. We have most all of the "big" items (car seat, high chair, furniture, etc.). We registered at Babies R Us and Target. Links to both registries are on the right hand column.

#14: How can we pray for you?
We need prayer more than anything during this time. Pray as you feel led, but here's a few specific requests:
--pray that we will not be anxious while awaiting his arrival.
--pray for safe travel for our families as they come to visit.
--pray for John Mark to be healthy and strong.
--pray for both of us to trust the Lord and rejoice in the blessing of a son, even when times are hard.
--pray that we will raise our son to know the Lord.

So I didn't quite get to magic number twenty. If you have more questions, leave them in the comments, and we'll post a "part two".

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Excelelnt post, Amy. Thanks for taking the time to fill us in.

And while I totally agree that making the announcements could have been a stressor, I do think yours are far better than anything a store like Target could produce. (I meant that as a compliment, but as I read it, it sounds bad - but I meant it nice, praising your work and your choice!!)

The Hudgins said...

i feel totally informed now. we love you guys very much. sometimes i regret that katrina took us far away from one another, just as an incredible friendship was forming. we are praying for the three of you. i want our Boys to meet one day.
anything you need, just call.
it's going to be so incredible.