Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Keeping Christ in Christmas

This year, we have been making a conscious effort to keep Christmas centered around Christ- the ONLY reason for this celebration. Earlier this year I read Noel Piper's Treasuring God in Our Traditions and was inspired by many of her ideas. I highly encourage all women of all ages to put this book on your reading list for 2009. I will probably re-read it next year... and the next, and the next...

Inspired by her words, and by our own convictions, Mallory and I have implemented the following traditions into our family this year. We may not continue all of them, and will certainly be open to add new traditons, but here's a summary of our Christ-centered Christmas celebration thus far.

1. Purchase wrapping paper with scripture or nativity scenes. I searched in every store in our small town for this. I found one roll at the local Christian book store, but wanted a variety. Finally, I found four different kinds at Wal-Mart. I plan on hitting some of the larger retail Christian stores after Christmas to stock up for next year!





2. Be involved in Christmas activities at church. We are so thankful to be a part of a congregation that focuses on sharing not only the Christmas story, but the entire gospel message during the holidays. I had a Christmas party for my Sunday School class (youth girls) last Monday night and shared a devotion about Anna. A prophetess who lived in the temple, she prayed for 70+ years for the coming of the Messiah. Although she was only married for seven years, then widowed without children, she dedicated her life to prayer and serving the Lord. Her behind-the-scenes role in the coming of Christ is a beautiful picture of how God delights in fulfilling His purpose and involving our prayers.



This Wednesday night, Mallory and I are both involved in the children's Christmas program. It has been a lot of work the past few weeks, but it will pay off when many are able to hear the gospel message through the birth of a Savior.

3. Display nativity scenes throughout our home. We are blessed to have many of these. Many were purchased during our overseas travels, and others were gifts from family. I hope to one day have more nativity scenes than I do ornaments on my tree!








4. Order Christmas photo cards with a Christ-centered theme. I searched at all the drug stores, Wal-Mart, and a couple of other stores to find this type of card. I finally found what I wanted at Costco. So, family and friends, look for one in your mailbox in a couple of days!
These are just a few things we have done in our home to keep the gospel message central during such a hectic season. I'd love to hear your ideas or suggestions!
Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow.! WalMart is a best store for Christmas shopping.