Here's the information from WebMD:
Roseola (roseola infantum) is a mild illness caused by a virus. It is generally harmless and is most common in children 6 months to 2 years of age. It is rare after age 4.
Roseola is caused by two common viruses. The viruses belong to the family of herpes viruses, but they do not cause the cold sores or genital infections that herpes simplex viruses can cause. They are spread through tiny droplets of fluid from the nose and throat of infected people when they laugh, talk, sneeze, or cough. Roseola mostly spreads from infected people who don’t show symptoms.
Roseola often starts with a sudden high fever [103 F to 105 F] that lasts 2 to 3 days, although it can last up to 8 days. The rapid increase in temperature may be the first sign of roseola and often occurs before you realize that your child has a fever. The fever ends suddenly.
After the fever ends, a rosy-pink rash may appear mostly on the trunk (torso), neck, and arms. The rash is not itchy and may last 1 to 2 days.
In rare cases, a sore throat, stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhea occur. A child with roseola may appear fussy or irritable and may have a decreased appetite, but most children behave almost normally.
John Mark has been so fussy!!! I struggle with the balance of discipline during sick times. When he had RSV this spring, I think I was too laid back with disciplining him and had to really work at re-learning some things we had already mastered (like not jumping on the couch and not screaming at me and Mallory) after he got better. I think, "Oh, he doesn't feel well. It's okay if he doesn't want to obey." I know that's not the best way to look at it.
I think about when I'm sick- is it okay if I sin just because I'm sick? Does God excuse sin when people are ill? No! However, I know that when I am feeling bad I don't always give 100%. I want to slack off and be lazy and just get to feeling better. As a parent, I think it is a tough balance to be caring and sympathetic to our children when they are ill but maintain the rules at the same time. It breaks my heart to see him sick, but it hurts even more to have to discipline him while he's ill.
Do any of my fellow mothers have advice on this topic? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!
2 comments:
I think this is a struggle for all of us moms out there! I certainly understand your plea for help.
From your blog, I'm assuming that the main discipline issue right now is whining/tantrums. If it is obvious that my kids don't feel well and that is contributing to excessive whining, I usually put them to bed. This is not our "normal" method of discipline, but if they are already sick, chances are that they are more tired than usual and might need some extra "down" time. I'm not necessarily aiming for an extra nap (although sometimes that happens), just some time to rest or quietly play. I would leave the light on and put some quiet toys in bed with the baby.
The other option is that he just needs some extra quiet cuddle time with mom and dad. I know this can be very demanding right now with a new baby at home.
Of course, if his behavior becomes unacceptable (violent, blatantly disrespectful), then I would discipline as usual, possibly toned down a notch or two. Even at such a young age, kids can learn to manipulate and figure out that they won't get into trouble when they misbehave if they are "sick." Certain behaviors must be corrected no matter what.
I hope that this is helpful to you in your situation right now. If you do choose to try any of these ideas, please discuss them with Mallory first! What works in our family may or may not be what works for you.
I've so enjoyed reading your blog recently, seeing the precious pictures of Amelia, and seeing that so many of us moms do struggle with so many of the same issues day to day! Thank you for your encouragement, Amy!
Amy,
So sorry to hear about sweet John Mark. It is SO HARD when our children hurt.
Just tonight, John David hit his nose really hard while he was playing, and it even started to bleed. While I was consoling him, he asked if he could sleep in "Mommy, Daddy's bed" which is something that we don't allow (because we DID for a while, and it was hard to break the habit.) Anyway, I found myself about to say "okay" just because I felt so sorry for him. But then I remembered our "rule" and thankfully was able to stick to my guns before I let my emotions take over. Yet, I tried to respond with a gentle "no", etc., but continued to show sympathy. I could tell that he knew what he was doing in asking right then - those smart little guys!
However, after putting him in bed, he asked for "one more song" and we rocked a little longer than usual.
Didn't mean to talk about US, but I thought that our experience just this evening was a bit related.
- Yes, you want to be compassionate and show grace and mercy. But, the most merciful thing is not always to give in; still do what is best for him and his heart (meaning discipline), but exerting the discipline with love and patience (like I'm sure you always do) but maybe with a little EXTRA tenderness thrown in there.
- Yes, our little guys are smart and know how to manipulate. Like you said from your previous experience, you had to do some retraining after JM recovered from RSV. I know you would like to avoid that.
- HOWEVER, if you have to do some retraining; i mean, who DOESN'T have to go through retraining. I wish that I could learn a lesson once and get it for the rest of my life. So, be sure to give yourself and JM grace, even if you have to have a few days of "boot camp" after this sickness passes.
- And, Yes, give some extra TLC!
- Pray James 1:5 all throughout the day!
Amy, you are a FABULOUS Mom, and are such an encouragement to all of us other moms that know you. I know that God will give you the wisdom in the moment to do what needs to be done. And in those moments when we DON'T do what is best, it can spur our hearts to give thanks to our Heavenly Father that He ALWAYS does what is best for us. Those moments remind us of our need for Him. . . that HE is all-wise and we are not. (my sister-in-law shared this helpful advice with me)
And remember," this too shall pass. . ."
Love!
Post a Comment