Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Countdown to our Five-Year Wedding Anniversary: 2006 in Review

I am really glad that I do not look at photos from 2005 often! That was tough- remembering all the heartache that Hurricane Katrina brought. BUT, God is good and has blessed us tremendously since then.


Taken right outside our apartment door. We had this basement apartment on the backside of the buildling so it was like having a mini-backyard, only we didn't have to cut the grass!


2006 was a unique year for us. It marked our stablization in Louisville and was the only year (thus far) that we lived at one address ALL year long. Our apartment on the northwest end of Louisville was filled with many memories of friends and family visiting.


Mallory had this red jeep that he loved. We also adored our dog, Butler, who we said good-bye to in 2009.



I worked full-time for CuraScript IP, doing pediatric home health and home infusion. It was my favorite job thus far since graduating nursing school. I traveled all over the backroads of Kentucky and loved it.


We spent our first anniversary at Thunder Over Louisville, the largest display of fireworks in the world. It kicks off the Kentucky Derby season each year.


Mallory continued working at Starbucks and also taking classes at seminary. We were members at FBC Prospect, which was a great church for us. The people there were so welcoming and the preaching was very biblical. I was honored to help lead worship there and learned a lot from the Music Ministers about playing the piano for a worship service.



For my birthday that year, Mallory took me to Evansville, IN to a bed and breakfast. Really, the B&B was secondary because the real reason he took me was to go eat at IHOP. I LOVE IHOP and at the time, this was the closest one (two hours by car). It was a sweet birthday and we had a blast on that trip.



Charles Simoonga from Zambia came to the USA to visit and dropped by Louisville. He made us a traditional African meal, which we had missed dearly. Our friend Dave, who served in Zambia with Mallory, got to enjoy this delicious dinner with us too!



In May, my brother Matt graduated high school and we made the trip to Birmingham for that. It was a fun time and I'm sure we ate lots of Milo's then too!



In June we traveled to Orlando for Matt and Katharyn's wedding (Mallory's cousin).



We spent Thanksgiving in Orlando with Mallory's family.


And for Christmas, my entire family came to visit! This was a great time- I cooked Christmas dinner and we all crammed into our 2 bedroom apartment.

Other highlights from 2006:
  • I flew to Birmingham and surprised my mom for her birthday in August.
  • We pursued a career back overseas, but God closed the door.
  • We made our first car purchase, which we still drive today.
  • I grew to love our dog, Butler. This is significant because I was NEVER an animal person until I met Mallory. I still wouldn't call myself an "animal person" but I do like small dogs now.

Well, come back tomorrow for 2007- where it gets really interesting with buying and selling property and adding a baby!!!!

2 comments:

Mrs. T. said...

What a fun recap. We'll have been married 23 years in May. I may attempt to do something similar. We were OK during Katrina (that weekend was my dad's funeral though) :( but Hurricane Charley and the two that followed him did major damage to our home -- pretty stressful here for a couple of months.

BTW, your blog is really pretty.

Andrea said...

What a great idea! Loved reading these! I remember a lot of this!