Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Countdown to my 30th Birthday: Day 8

8 is the number of years I have been a nurse. Going to Samford and (finally, after many other majors!) deciding to pursue nursing was a great decision (second to marrying my amazing husband, of course!). I LOVED SAMFORD. I dream of the day when my kids will go there, but Mallory insists that they will be Florida Gators (although they are often influenced to go to University of Alabama by some certain family on my side, too!). Samford taught me so much more than just nursing--friends I will treasure always, memories of Step Sing, BSU Choir and RAing that I hold dear, and life-long lessons on theology, doctrine and living out your faith in a corrupt world will never leave my heart.

My friend Lauryn convinced me to do nursing- what an impact she had on my life. I am so grateful I listened to her advice and pursued this career. It has led me to many jobs, many states, even overseas. I love being a nurse. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Eight years ago this August, I passed my boards. I sat for the exam on a Thursday, I believe, then had my wisdom teeth out the next day. I was leaving for Africa soon, and trying to get everything taken care of. (I insisted that I could have my wisdom teeth out in Africa and let the IMB pay for it, but my mother wouldn't hear of it. So, I had them out in America, the day after my boards.) I was lying in the bed one morning, recovering from the wisdom teeth surgery, and dialed the toll-free number to the Alabama Board of Nursing. When they said my license was current and active, I jumped up, forgetting I was on narcotic pain killers. I hit the floor (orthostatic hypotension, I suppose, or something like that) and ran to the kitchen to find my mom. I was screaming, "I passed, I passed!!!" But, I was swollen from surgery and my speech wasn't great. She thought I said, "A mouse! A mouse!" My mother, who has a great fear of mice (and passed it on to me) started screaming and climbing up on the kitchen chair. I am laughing, crying and about to faint again from all the painkillers. She finally understood me, we celebrated and I breathed a huge sigh of relief. What a story, eh?

No comments: