Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year's Day Celebrations

We unpacked farily fast, mainly because I (Amy) was more than ready to get everything in its place and settled. (And I'm a perfectionist and can't stand things to be out of place. Type A, I know.) Our friends, Alan & Jessica Parish, who served in Zambia with Mallory (and Alan went to Samford and training with Amy) were passing through town on January 1. They became our first guests of 2006, and the first ones to utilize our new guest room.

Come one, come all... Since Alan and Jess were coming, we invited Dave and Katie over as well. Mallory, Dave, Alan and Jess were all in Zambia together. Dave's wife, Katie, shares the Alabama bond with Amy, and Mallory was a groomsman in their wedding in May, just three weeks after our wedding. In addition to that, we had Chuck, another friend of Alan and Amy's from Samford, as well as missionary training. (Chuck served in Europe, and Alan went on vacation to see him.) Whew! It may have been easier to say that we had some friends over, but if you know these people (or if you are Kari, Kim, Ashley, Jackie, etc) then you would enjoy this lengthy description.

Dave and Katie brought a game called Apples to Apples. It is a word game where players pair a noun with adjectives. They can be as appropriate or crazy as possible. Katie won the first hand, and I won the second. A great game for anyone who enjoys wordy things.

I cooked my first bundt cake! My gracious Aunt Carol gave me some wonderful bakeware for Christmas, so I had to break it in! I made a Spiced Pear Cake from Family Circle Magazine. It was easy and oh so delicious. Click here to get the recipe.

The whole group... minus Chuck, who had to leave early to go study.

6 comments:

The Hudgins said...

nice place! you guys keep on moving up in the world. first willingham...then the other apt, now this one. what's next?!?!?! glad you are finally somewhere you can "settle".
we sure miss ya'll. i am enjoying your blog.
tara

Ashley said...

I so appreciated your explanation of who was at your house, thanks! I am also thrilled that you two are now "bloggers". I must say I was a bit jealous that you all got to be together. I have some news myself...I am engaged! He proposed on Christmas Eve and we are getting married May 20. Check my website soon for more details. I will put out a good update when my head stops spinning!!
Love you guys!!!

AP said...

ashley's engaged! wow! thanks for the update amy...

Senegal Daily said...

Yea!! That's so exciting! I gues I could leave a note on her blog as well, but Mallory and Amy's seems to be the place to be right now...

Love, K

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! I talked with Ashley on the phone yesterday, and she directed me to your website. That does sound like a fun New Years party you guys had! It is great seeing the Zambia family hangin out :o) Tommy and I are still in Richmond, and still lovin married life ;o)

auDi tHis woRld said...

Looks like lots of fun and memories over New Years!!! Life in Fort Worth is great. Semester started yesterday - I was driving home from a few days on the slopes in Colorado, so I won't actually be starting until next week! ;-) Glad all is well with you guys.